In my business traveling time, I have been to places during floods, blizzards, and torrential rain. I’ve dealt with record lows and highs. I’ve also been lucky enough to have beautiful weather a lot of the time. In fact, I am pretty sure I’ve never canceled a trip due to weather concerns. But I’m having a hard time with this one.
Next week, I am scheduled to go to Manila. It’s a tiny bit anxiety-inducing in general due to the 25 hour travel time. But to add to my current stress level, they had a hurricane go through on Tuesday, and forecasts are showing another one moving over the islands on Friday and Saturday. There has been torrential flooding, dozens of deaths, and over a billion dollars in damage.
The Home Warrior is concerned. My family is concerned. I’m also concerned! The company I’m meeting with says business is going on as usual. There hasn’t been much guidance from my travel agent besides “wait and see”. I have no problem with going–if I didn’t go this time, the trip would be rescheduled for November or December, and I would have to go then. My main issue is concern about a) going all the way there, having my meetings get canceled due to weather, and needing to go again; or b) getting stuck there because flights are canceled.
It seems a little silly to be worrying about this when there is so much destruction and suffering going on there. I hope that the weather gets better for the sake of the Filipinos, certainly more so than for my own sake.
So, Readers, any advice? Have you canceled trips due to weather? Were you glad you did, or did it feel like a waste?