The personal item is the most important bag you take on a business trip. Yes, a suitcase may have all of your clothes and toiletries, but those things are replaceable. The information kept in your laptop, cell phone, and any work-related documents in your purse or briefcase would be much more difficult to replace, which IMO makes it more critical.
What exactly do I keep in my bag when traveling, in addition to the items mentioned above? I like to keep it simple, and only keep the necessities handy. I (try. I promise I try to) clean my bag out before every trip so I’m not carrying around receipts, old boarding passes, or other unnecessary junk. This way I can find everything I need, when I need it.
- Normal purse stuff. Of course I have my wallet, with my ID, credit cards, and money, as well as my lipstick, keys, and sunglasses.
- Boarding pass. In the outside pocket so it’s easy to grab.
- Kindle. It used to be a book (or two or three), but now that I have the Kindle my purse is much lighter. Hallelujah! For those of you who haven’t been converted into fans of ebooks, a book or a magazine will work just fine.
- Chargers. I keep my phone and computer charger in my purse for easy access.
- Pashmina. I often use it as a blanket or pillow on the plane, and a scarf once I arrive. It has also served as a swimsuit cover up and a substitute towel. The one I use now is from Old Navy, very similar to this one.
- Knitting. Just because I love to knit! I don’t always feel like working or reading, and knitting is a great way to pass the time.
- Notepad. I love writing lists, and my little notebook holds them all. I have to keep it around in case I have a stroke of brilliance!
- Office supplies (in a small bag): pen, highlighter, wireless mouse, binder clips, flash drive, headphones with microphone.
- Comfort items (in a small bag): Emergen-C, lip balm, tea bags, Splenda, ibuprofen, tums.
Here are all of the items that go in my purse on my bed:
And here is my purse, all packed up!
My purse is the Lo & Sons O.G. in black, although now that they’ve released their new Sky Blue version I am VERY tempted.
Readers, what do you keep in your purse or briefcase?
This post contains affiliate links.