During my really busy travel periods (like right now!) managing my packing list is so much easier if I leave a few things in my suitcase or travel purse all the time. While it does mean I have duplicates of some items the convenience is well worth it. Another reason–I have forgotten things too often, and it is worth the peace of mind to know I never have to worry about packing things like chargers.
- Electronics. There are a few small electronics, mostly power devices, that I never ever take out of my travel purse. This includes my laptop and phone chargers, portable charger, and flash drive. Also, after an unfortunate incident where I lost my teeny tiny flash drive (that contained my presentation, of course) in the depths of my cavernous purse I decided to put them all together in a pouch.
- Hair tools. Back in my college days I could just spritz some water on my hair, shake it, and be good to go. Alas, times have changed, and my hair with it. If I don’t have any of my styling tools my hair basically turns into a frizzed puffball. So professional! After I forgot my brush and curling iron one too many times I started keeping a set in my suitcase. I also always have hair bands and bobby pins in my toiletry bag, just in case. Which leads me to….
- Toiletry case. When I first started traveling for work there were a few things-like my razor and deodorant- that I would re-pack for every trip. It only took one trip of forgetting these critical grooming items before I wised up and bought a set just for traveling. Now my entire toiletry kit lives in my suitcase. No need to put it in the bathroom cabinet between trips! Too much risk of forgetting it.
- Umbrella. Yes, I could just look at the forecast and only pack it when it’s needed. But y’all, I am so busy these days I barely have time to shower, much less remember to check the weather. A travel umbrella is small enough that it fits into a small corner of my travel purse, so I am always covered just in case.
- Comfort and medicine bag. My comfort bag is another one that I used to only pack when going on longer trips. Honestly, though, I found myself wishing for my eye mask even on shorter trips (like at the random motel that had a bright red flashing light on the ceiling. Who does that??) After several years I just combined my comfort bag (eye mask, Emergency-c, lip balm, tissues) with my medicine bag (ibuprofen, pepto bismol, tums, Claritin). It doesn’t take up that much room but can make such a difference in my trip experience!
Bonus: packing cubes. I used to put these up after every trip but could never find them after a travel break. Now I leave them in my suitcase and just get them out for packing.
Readers, what do you keep packed in your bag all the time?
Be sure to check out my page with products I recommend for travel!
Have a travel question or suggestion? Send it to RW @RoadWarriorette.com.
This post may include affiliate links. Thanks for your support!
Download our free Business Trip Packing Checklist and never forget a thing!
Not sure what to pack for your business trip? No problem! Use our checklist to make sure you have everything you need for a successful trip.