A recent conversation with a traveling friend got me thinking. What are the things I just can’t live without while on a trip? Are those things different when I’m traveling for business vs. fun? What do I need for the plane vs. the hotel, or clothes vs. toiletries? So after much deliberation and consideration, I narrowed it down to five. Here are my necessities for when I’m on a plane:
- Kindle. Without a doubt, this is the one thing I need on every trip, regardless of work or play. Reading keeps me sane through delays, overly full flights, turbulence, screaming kids, smelly neighbors, and every other travel headache.
- iPhone. Music helps me feel like I’m alone on a plane of 200. White noise apps help me sleep. Email and internet are fun and entertaining before we take off. I need my phone!!
- Pashmina. The most useful of all clothing items. Use it as a pillow, a blanket, a napkin, an eye-mask…. It takes up so little room in a bag yet makes your flight so much better.
- Water/snacks. Getting dehydrated can affect me in so many ways, so I always carry water with me on flights. And being hungry makes me grumpy and sometimes nauseous, so I always carry snacks as well.
- Notepad. Sometimes I will be struck by inspiration–blog topic ideas, stuff I need to do at home, a grocery list, house decoration ideas…. If things come into my head, I have to write them down immediately or I might forget.
- Honorable mention: lip balm. My lips get so dry while flying, which is very uncomfortable. Lip balm makes it all better, and the mint kind smells really good (which helps when you have a smelly neighbor).
So Readers, what are your top five travel necessities for a plane? I’m so curious!! Please share.
Download our free Business Trip Packing Checklist and never forget a thing!
Not sure what to pack for your business trip? No problem! Use our checklist to make sure you have everything you need for a successful trip.