Hey readers! Got a question or something you want to discuss this weekend? Here’s the perfect opportunity! Whether you want to share an interesting travel story, a packing tip, an etiquette tip, or anything else going on in the business travel world, comment here and we’ll have a discussion.
Travel tip of the week:
- Ever heard of a mattress run? It’s the same thing as a mileage run except instead of trying to get status or take advantage of a promotion with an airline you are targeting your hotel status. So when does it make sense for you to do this? I typically don’t do a mattress run–where you check in at a hotel but don’t necessarily plan on spending the night–unless I am one night away from status or a huge bonus. The goal is to find the lowest rate possible at a hotel in your loyalty family. For example, I am done traveling for the year but was one stay away from Gold with Hilton Hhonors. So I found a super low rate at a Hampton Inn near my house, made the reservation and checked in, then headed back home. Easy peasy! Readers, have you ever done a mattress run?
Week in review:
- Today’s post is back to basics! Airline apps can be very helpful for business travel. Business travel basics: Airline apps.
- Travel can be very stressful! Here are some tips with how to deal with stress once you arrive at your destination. Dealing with stress once you reach your destination.
- These changes seem good for Delta, but I’m not so sure they’re great for business travelers. Delta announces five-tiered seating plan. Is it good for business travelers?
- Not sure what to get the road warrior in your life this holiday season? Check out the Road Warriorette gift guide! Road Warriorette’s Business Traveler Gift Guide 2014.
Here are travel news stories that caught my eye this week:
- Happened to me too. Seriously? I’m Losing My Airline Status Because I’m Having a Baby. via @YahooTravel
- Not sure I buy it but interesting. Are You Enlightened or a Control Freak? What Your Airplane Seat Choice Says About You. via @YahooTravel
- I would totally freak out. How Much Did Prince William Pay for His First Class US Airways Flight? via @Jaunted
- I agree. The most annoying type of airline passenger is… via @CNNTravel
- This is ‘nuts’. Korean Air executive resigns over nuts on a plate row. via @CNNTravel
- Good info incase you’re stranded this holiday season. How to Get a Flight During Delays and Cancellations. via @abcnews
Comments of the week:
- This week I wrote a post asking if Delta’s announce of five-tiered seating is good for business travlers. @patricia wrote “Many road warriors are screwed because their corporate booking systems require the lowest fare, which is now becoming “basic economy” in quite a few markets (and I expect that list to only grow in time). So you can be a super loyal Diamond status, booking with corporate engine, and forced to sit in regular Y with no hope of C+ or F, and absolutely no flexibility for changes. The CORRECT solution to be competitive with Spirit while not upsetting your loyal base is to block basic economy from ever showing up at corporate booking engines. The lowest allowable there should be Main Cabin.”
Readers, chime in with what’s on your mind! I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend.
Be sure to check out my page with products I recommend for travel!
Have a travel question or suggestion? Send it to RW @RoadWarriorette.com.
This post may include affiliate links. Thanks for your support!