A few weeks ago, I got an email from a reader.
I leave next Wednesday for my longest trip ever to Wisconsin for work. Its 10 days in Wisconsin! Thankfully I will be running from the hotel to the car and then the car to the warehouse. However, I can only bring one suitcase. Do you have any advice on how I should pack? I know you have done some 5 day trips but I can’t remember if you have done a 10 day one. Please help! I’m from Georgia and I’m not used to those temperatures!
Oh man. Ten days in Wisconsin is no joke for a southerner! Packing in one suitcase for ten days is hard enough in the springtime (like I did here), when you don’t have to worry about coats and boots and 9 degree weather. There are a few things to keep in mind to make it easier.
- Two thin layers take up less room than one thick layer.
- Plan to wear everything more than once.
- Wear your bulkiest items on the plane.
- Take commuting shoes (like these).
- Use packing cubes!
Keeping those tips in mind, here is a packing list for the dead of winter.
- 3 pairs of work pants
- 1 dress or skirt (or an additional pair of pants)
- 1 casual pair of pants
- 6-8 shirts/cardigans that can be mixed and matched
- 2 pairs of work shoes
- 1 pair of commuting shoes (wear on the plane)
Here are the clothes to bring.
Here are some of the outfits you can make with the clothes. Obviously there are plenty more combinations!
Readers, any tips for people traveling for a long time in the winter?