When you arrive at the airport, one of the first obstacles you encounter to getting to your final destination is the security line. Hundreds of people, all trying to get through that rope line to prove who they are, take off their shoes, send all of their belongings through an X-ray machine, then go through a scanner to make sure they’re not carrying anything dangerous…..well, it’s no wonder things can get a little testy! But don’t worry, I’ve put together a list of tips to help us get through that testing ground with our dignity and sanity intact (sort of).
- Be prepared to go smoothly through security. Know what the current security rules are for the location you are traveling through, and follow them.
- If there is an option to choose your security line based on your level of experience, please choose honestly.
- Have your boarding pass and ID out for the TSO before you get to the front of the line. Don’t hold up the line putting it away; wait until you get to the next line.
- Have everything easily accessible (laptop, bag of toiletries, etc) so that you are ready to go as soon as you get to the bins. Have all change out of your pocket, preferably in a pocket in your bag.
- Wait to go through the metal detector until your bags are through the x-ray machine. First, simple etiquette. No one wants to be responsible for moving someone else’s things through. Second, if your belongings are out of your sight, someone could steal something. No reason to tempt fate!
- If for any reason you can’t go through the metal detector or body scanner, let the agent know up front. This may take some extra time, so be prepared.
- Once through security, grab your stuff and move it over to the bench or table nearby. Please don’t hold up the line so you can dig your change out of the bin!
- Remember (and this can be hard for the seasoned travelers, myself included) that not everyone flies every week. Some people will simply take longer than we’d like, and getting frustrated with them won’t make your own trip go any more smoothly.
For a full list of tips to make going through security smooth as silk, check out my Security Refresh from January.
Readers, what do you think? Did I miss anything? What is important to you, etiquette wise, when going through security?
Download our free Business Trip Packing Checklist and never forget a thing!
Not sure what to pack for your business trip? No problem! Use our checklist to make sure you have everything you need for a successful trip.